We oftentimes receive phone calls from folks who have been cited for a traffic citation. The first questions that we are typically asked is, "how many points will I get on my license."
Points are generally only assessed when a conviction for said traffic offense occurs. It is important, however, to know that paying your ticket online is the equivalent of a guilty plea and conviction! Meaning that if you pay a ticket online, and points are assessable, then you will have those points on your license!
How Many Points Will I Get?
The following is a list of the violations for which points will be assessed as well as how many points will be assessed for the violations. If you are under 21 this list may not apply to your offense. Remember, if you pay your ticket online it is a conviction and these points will be assessed!
- General Moving Violations - 3 Points
- HOV Violation (4th or more) - 1 point
- Texting and Driving - 1 point
- 1st offense - Child Safety Restraint Violation - 1 point
- 2nd offense - Child Safety Restraint Violation - 2 Points
- Failure to Secure Load - 2 points
- Open Container - 2 points
- Failure to Obey Police Officer - 3 points
- Failure to Obey Traffic Control Device - 3 points
- 15 - 18mph over - 2 points
- 19 - 23mph over - 3 points
- 24 - 33mph over - 4 points
- 34mph over and greater - 6 points
- Improper Passing on Hill or Curve - 4 points
- Unlawful Passing of School Bus - 6 points
- Reckless Driving - 4 points
- Aggressive Driving - 6 points
Anytime you receive one of the above traffic tickets you will face points on your license. An accumulation of points on your license can result in license suspension, so it is no matter to take lightly. Contact us today to see if we can help with your traffic ticket.